Clearwell Caves are natural caves, extensively mined for iron ore to make some of Britain's most complex and oldest mine workings. The mine dates back well over 4,000 years, when early miners dug for ochre pigments to make paints. Iron ore miners later created a warren of underground passageways, by connecting the huge caverns.
As well as our brilliant 46th adult Fancy Dress party see events page to book. Live band, disco and fancy dress, in our partly candlelit cavern.
We have an excellent children's Halloween Half Term event from 25th October to 2nd November, with a Hansel and Gretel theme. Every child can enter our simple free competition. Correct entries are placed into our Grand Halloween Draw, with the two winners receiving a fantastic wicked witch, or wizard, hand puppet.
Towards the end of the holidays, we are very pleased to announce we have two performances by the fabulous Horse and Bamboo Theatre Company of their unique version of 'Hansel and Gretel,' - 1st and 2nd November. Music, masks, puppetry, and film - suitable for all ages 5+. Their unique storytelling will fascinate all ages.
This is all followed by our spectacular Christmas Fantasy for 2014; The Perfect Christmas Tree. See events page for more details of all these brilliant events.
- Fun for all the family
- A great underground experience.
- Cool in sweltering summer! 10 degrees all year round - bring a pullover.
- Atmospheric mine workings with nine impressive caverns.
- Fascinating displays throughout
- Visitor centre with Phyllis Lewis 'Forest Story' ceramic figures collection.
- Ochre workshop.
- Blacksmith workshop
- Fantastic things happening here - keep looking at our events page
- Guided tours for pre-booked groups
- Caving activities - see events page and Deep Level Caving
- Activities during children's holidays.
- Spectacular family Christmas Fantasy event.
- Free surface facilities including:
- Free car and coach parking
- Gift Shop with excellent souvenirs, gifts, crystals and minerals
- Great cafe
- Free - children's play area
- Free - picnic areas
- Free - miner's smallholding
- Surface walks around Clearwell Meend (large common) and into historic and picturesque Clearwell village, with beautiful church and Victorian village well (Clearwell Castle - is a wedding venue, not open to visitors) 3 good pubs, 2 good hotels, excellent food served at 3 premises.
- Dogs on leads are welcome around the site and surface facilities (not underground - except assistance dogs).
- Puschair accessible.
Reasons to visit:
When visitiing please wear stout footwear such as trainers or wellies with reasonable grip. Children must be closely supervised at all times. Disabled access, please ring in advance for more information. Disabled parking near Caves entrance, where the visitor centre and gift shop, cafe and picnic area are accessible. Please telephone for more information.
Other useful links: