Clearwell Caves are natural caves, extensively mined for iron ore to make some of Britain's most complex and oldest mine workings. The mine dates back well over 4,000 years, when early miners dug for ochre pigments to make paints. Iron ore miners later created a warren of underground passageways, by connecting the huge caverns.
Yes it's time for our spectacular Christmas Fantasy 2014; The Perfect Christmas Tree. See events page for more details of this lovely event.
- Fun for all the family
- A great underground experience.
- Cool in sweltering summer! 10 degrees all year round - bring a pullover.
- Atmospheric mine workings with nine impressive caverns.
- Fascinating displays throughout
- Visitor centre with Phyllis Lewis 'Forest Story' ceramic figures collection.
- Ochre workshop.
- Blacksmith workshop
- Fantastic things happening here - keep looking at our events page
- Guided tours for pre-booked groups
- Caving activities - see events page and Deep Level Caving
- Activities during children's holidays.
- Spectacular family Christmas Fantasy event.
- Free surface facilities including:
- Free car and coach parking
- Gift Shop with excellent souvenirs, gifts, crystals and minerals
- Great cafe
- Free - children's play area
- Free - picnic areas
- Free - miner's smallholding
- Surface walks around Clearwell Meend (large common) and into historic and picturesque Clearwell village, with beautiful church and Victorian village well (Clearwell Castle - is a wedding venue, not open to visitors) 3 good pubs, 2 good hotels, excellent food served at 3 premises.
- Dogs on leads are welcome around the site and surface facilities (not underground - except assistance dogs).
- Puschair accessible.
Reasons to visit:
When visitiing please wear stout footwear such as trainers or wellies with reasonable grip. Children must be closely supervised at all times. Disabled access, please ring in advance for more information. Disabled parking near Caves entrance, where the visitor centre and gift shop, cafe and picnic area are accessible. Please telephone for more information.
Other useful links: