Frequently Asked QuestionsAll your questions answered
FAQ's when visiting the show mine
We are open 6 days a week, (closed Mondays) from the 11th February 2017 until 7th April 2017 - 10am - 4pm ; 8th April until 3rd September 2017 - 10am – 5pm ; 5th September until 29th October 2017 10am – 4pm
For the show mine the prices are Adults £7.00 ; Children (ages 4 to 16): £5.00 ; Concessions: £6.00 ; Under 4's free. Family tickets: (2+2) £22.00 (2+3) £25.00. Please note that different prices or additional charges may apply for evening trips and for some of our special events, including our Christmas Fantasy event; to check event prices please see our Events page for details. We reserve the right to alter prices or events at any time.
You walk through 9 large caverns that are open to the public, with mining and geological displays throughout. Visitor Centre, Shop and Cafe. Picnic area. The underground visit takes around 45 minutes.
Please be aware that the Caves are real mine workings and may not be suitable for people with walking difficulties. The pathways are steep and uneven, they can be wet in places depending on the weather, there are handrails in parts where it is steeper. You can take a buggy through, but it is difficult for wheelchairs, and it is not suitable for mobility scooters.
Yes we do. Guided Tours available for pre-booked groups, no extra charge but minimum of 15 persons. Schools and educational visits a speciality. Tours take between 1-1.5 hrs, plus time in shop etc.
Yes, our colour 20 page guide book gives a cavern by cavern tour of the Caves and includes interesting local geological and historical information. They can be purchaed for £3.00 each.
FAQ's for lower level caving
The trips are suitable for absolute beginners, right through to experienced cavers. There are no requirements, as long as you are reasonably able bodied and willing to do some simple crawling and scrambling in places. The trips are adapted to suit the least able person in the group.
We will try to adapt caving activities to suit any ability; if you have concerns, book by telephone and let us know what the problem is and we can advise you. The guide however must still have the ultimate say on who they are willing to take on a trip.
Children under 18 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult on the trip.
Loose warm clothing that you do not mind getting dirty are the best. We supply overalls but you will still get a little grubby. Do not overdress as you will get warm as you keep moving during the trip.
We recommend that if possible everyone arrives wearing walking boots or wellies. We do have some wellies available if you do not have anything appropriate.
No. It is a dry cave system with occasional drips and puddles in places, but you remain dry and warm throughout the trip.
This obviously depends on the person; you need to crawl through passageways in places, the crawls however are fairly short and the caverns you visit are often very large. Many visitors can feel apprehensive, as caving is such an unfamiliar activity, but people often remark how once they have started they have really enjoyed the experience.
We normally do caving activities from 7 years upwards, as long as you are generally able bodied, there is no upper age limit. If you have concerns please telephone to book and we can advise you.
Yes you can. Your booking will be added into the same system, but you can call us or call in to do this should you wish to.
We will do our best to help you change your booking up to 3 days before you are due to come, to another scheduled time slot, availability permitting.
We have all our terms and conditions shown here.
Reasons to visit:
- Fun for all the family
- A great underground experience
- Atmospheric mine workings with nine impressive caverns
- Fascinating displays throughout
- Visitor centre with Phyllis Lewis 'Forest Story' ceramic figures collection
- Ochre workshop - see where artists pigment is prepared
- Fantastic things happening here - keep looking at our events page
- Guided tours for pre-booked groups
- Wide range of caving activities - see events page and Deep Level Caving
- Activities during children's holidays
- Halloween events for children and adults
- Spectacular family Christmas Fantasy event
- Free surface facilities including:
- Free car and coach parking
- Gift Shop with excellent souvenirs, gifts, crystals and minerals
- Great cafe
- Free - children's play area
- Free - picnic areas
- Free - miner's smallholding
- Surface walks around Clearwell Meend (large common) and into historic and picturesque Clearwell village, with beautiful church and Victorian village well (Clearwell Castle - is a wedding venue, not open to visitors) 3 good pubs, 2 good hotels, excellent food served at 3 premises
- Dogs on leads are welcome around the site and surface facilities (not underground - except assistance dogs). Nice walks over the common. Shaded car parking.
- Pushchair accessible.
When visiting please wear stout footwear such as trainers or wellies with reasonable grip. Children must be closely supervised at all times. Access in the Caves is steep in many places. Disabled access, please ring in advance for more information. Disabled parking near Caves entrance, where the visitor centre and gift shop, cafe and picnic area are accessible. Please telephone for more information.